Saturday, February 28, 2009

Math Is Hard, Part II


Okay, I can do this. Just think it through...

I raise the top tax rate from 35% to 39.6% in my awesome new budget plan for 2010, but even that's not enough to pay for all the rad things I want to do. I really thought there were more rich people. Or that they were richer. It's like all their stocks have lost half their value, too, just like all the stocks those non-rich people have in their IRA and 401(k) accounts. Weird.

Now if I raise the top tax rate even higher, Speaker Nancy might like it, but the Blue Dogs will become a wolf pack. And if I raise taxes on everyone else, people will think I'm just another politician who says one thing and does another. Even worse, I can kiss that second term good-bye. So how can I raise taxes even more on those still-sort-of-rich people but not look like that's really what I'm doing?

I can do this. Think it through...

I know, I'll cut their deduction for the interest they pay on their mortgages. After all, it's not like I just proposed a $75 billion mortgage affordability plan to stop a crisis of foreclosures and help people afford to stay in their homes.

Hmmmm, that's still not enough to pay for everything? Weird.

I know, I'll cut their deduction for charitable contributions, too. They always give their money to the wrong people and organizations anyway. It's not like it goes to help fund churches, museums, food banks, arts groups, charities that fight poverty overseas, and things like that. If they just give the money to me instead, then I can keep some of it to pay for, well, whatever, and I can send the rest to truly deserving groups. Like ACORN.

Hmmmm, even that's still not enough to pay for everything? Weird.

Math is really hard...