Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Beyond Disingenuous

President Obama held another prime-time press conference last night. After reading the transcript and watching parts of the video this morning, I'm glad my wife and I watched that episode of Genshiken on DVD instead.

The press conference has so much to take issue with, but probably the most telling -- and infuriating -- part came during President Obama's introductory remarks:

At the end of the day, the best way to bring our deficit down in the long run is not with a budget that continues the very same policies that have led us to a narrow prosperity and massive debt. It's with a budget that leads to broad economic growth by moving from an era of borrow and spend to one where we save and invest.
I see. Well then, let's compare this rhetoric with reality using a helpful chart that includes the White House's own budget numbers and projections, along with those of the Congressional Budget Office:


I see...

This is beyond two reasonable people looking at the same facts and drawing different conclusions. This is beyond disingenuous. This is beyond spin.

This is madness, plain and simple.

Never in the last few months have I been so proud to say that I voted for the other guy, despite the several disagreements I had with him as well. Or to say that I left the Democratic Party long before this moment, despite the several issues where I still agree with them.

And people were worried that Sarah Palin was going to lead our country to ruination from the vice-president's office? Please...

UPDATE: From the great Jerry Holbert...