Friday, October 9, 2009

Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize!

Think that headline is a joke? I did. At least until I clicked the link and read the actual article:

OSLO – President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday in a stunning decision designed to build momentum behind his initiatives to reduce nuclear arms, ease tensions with the Muslim world and stress diplomacy and cooperation rather than unilateralism.
I try to keep this a PG-rated (okay, PG13-rated) blog, but I just have to say it.

The world has gone completely f***king insane.

Remember when you actually had to have, I don't know, accomplished something to win a Nobel Peace Prize? Now, apparently, just saying you hope to do accomplish something is good enough.

Well then, I'm going to write a great novel. I haven't actually written it yet, but I'm going to. Really. I will. I can make this happen. You watch.

Now, where's my Nobel Prize in Literature?
"I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many transformative figures that have been honored by this prize," Obama said.
For one of the few times since you've taken office, Mr. President, I completely agree with you.

UPDATE: Reaction quote of the day:
WASHINGTON - Former vice president and Nobel [Peace Prize for his global warming work] Laureate Al Gore is calling President Barack Obama's Nobel Peace Prize win extremely well deserved and an honor for the country.
There are no words...

UPDATE II: I'm honestly not sure who to hold in lower regard right now. The Nobel Peace Prize Committee, for throwing away what last remaining shred of credibility they might have still had? Or President Obama, for acknowledging that he doesn't deserve this award but, apparently, still planning to accept it anyway.

Then again, I think we've all learned never to get between Barack Obama and a chance to make yet another speech...