Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Start of the 2010 Tide

I doubt it will get the same attention as Arlen Specter's switch from Republican to Democrat, but the decision by Representative Parker Griffith of Alabama to switch from Democrat to Republican has far greater implications:



I used to believe that America was strong enough to survive four years of anyone in the White House. But never in my most fevered political dreams did I imagine what I've seen over past year of one-party rule with a 60-vote majority in the Senate, all culminating in a 2,500-plus-page Senate health "reform" bill with a real 10-year cost of roughly $2.5 trillion, a mad dash to pass something (anything) "historic" by an artificial Christmas Eve deadline, and the most sickening level of outright vote-buying that I have ever seen.

Ever.

Griffith is right: We are at a cross-roads. The health "reform" bill was the final straw for him, as it will be for many, many others in this country. And I can only hope Griffith's change of party is the first sign of the change I pray, for all our sakes, that the 2010 elections will bring.

Like fiscal sanity.

If the Obama administration thought the Tea Parties and the town-hall meetings of this year were bad, they ain't seen nothing yet, and they are literally bringing it on themselves. Because they really have done something "historic" -- in less than one full year, they've managed to make the Republicans look good again.