Friday, April 9, 2010

The 17-Minute Solution


"Let me try this again, Jake. Yes, health reform is going to cost us $1 trillion dollars over the next 10 years, but it's also going to lower the deficit by $130 billion over those same 10 years. Now, the deficit is a serious problem. Everyone agrees on that. So cutting the deficit by $130 billion over 10 years seems like a pretty good deal to me."

"And my question, Mister President, was why, instead of spending $1 trillion to lower the deficit by $130 billion over 10 years, don't we take that same $1 trillion and lower the deficit by $1 trillion instead of only $130 billion?"

"Look, Jake, this is getting us nowhere. You and I both know I'm not really going to answer this question. So how about I just take a shot at Sarah Palin and the Tea Party and we all move on? I mean, do any of you really want to wake up 17 minutes from now and realize I'm still talking?"