Friday, May 14, 2010

Arlen Specter, Then and Now

Arlen Specter, then:



Arlen Specter, now:



I'm looking forward to watching, even if from a distance, a Sestak vs. Toomey race in Pennsylvania for the U.S. Senate. Whatever my disagreements with each of them, both seem to have actual convictions and beliefs that go beyond winning just another term in office, and I can respect them both. I haven't been able to say that about Arlen Specter for a very long time now.

As Mayor Bloomberg might say, if I had to guess 25 cents, my bet would be that when Arlen Specter loses the Democratic Senate primary, after fleeing the Republican Senate primary, he'll pull a Charlie Crist and run as an Independent, telling the voters of Pennsylvania how there's no longer room in either party for a "moderate" politician like himself, which after 30 years in the Senate makes him the true "outsider" who can go back to Washington and reform its awful ways during his sixth term in office.