Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Phone Conversation About Prop 32

"Hello?"

*waiting for someone to come on the line*

"Hello-o-o?"

"Hi, I'm calling from [long and unmemorable organization name]. Are you aware of California Prop 32?"

"It's Saturday morning."

"Prop 32 is --"

"It's early on a Saturday morning."

"Prop 32 is --"

"Not something I want to talk about this early on a Saturday morning."

"Prop 32 --"

"You're still talking to me."

"About Prop 32, which --"

"I haven't even had coffee yet --"

"Prop 32 --"

"-- or walked the dog."

"Prop 32 is a very important issue."

"You're still talking to me."

"About Prop 32, which --"

"Look, I don't have a position on Prop 32 yet, because my voter guide hasn't arrived yet, so I still haven't seen the actual wording of the proposition."

"Then let me tell you. Prop 32 --"

"You're still talking to me."

"Sir, don't you even want to know which side of the issue I'm calling about?"

"Saying you were calling from [long and unmemorable organization name] was kind of a giveaway, don't you think?"

"Prop 32 --"

"And this early on a Saturday morning, you confirming my suspicion on that score would probably just make me more apt to vote the other way --"

"Prop 32 --"

"-- or make me think you're just telling me the other position, hoping that I'll  vote your way without realizing."

"You really don't like these calls, do you?"

"I'm hanging up now."

"Goodbye, sir."

*click*