Friday, October 26, 2012

My Own First Time



I remember my first time. It was with Walter Mondale, but I was thinking of Geraldine Ferraro.

He said outright that he would raise my taxes, but he was my first, so I knew that I could change him. Besides, that other guy who was also into me was just really old, like a thousand and fifty in college-age time, so it would have been super uncool to be out and about with him instead of Walter.

Still, my first time was amazing. It was this line in the dorm room. Before I opened that absentee ballot, I was a boy, but then I was a 19-year-old college Democrat. I picked up that pen I'd been chewing on all semester, and I filled in that little circle, and I voted for Walter Mondale. Then I gave my roommate a goofy smile and asked him to put his headphones on, because his happy, bubbly music was getting a bit much.

Walter and I didn't last, of course, just like my parents warned. And I did get over him. Eventually. We still keep up on Facebook, though, which is super cool.

And I still think of Geraldine Ferraro.

UPDATE: Because the Founding Fathers are like super mainstream...